How do I transfer a car title from an inheritance?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I transfer a car title from an inheritance?

My father recently passed away in GA, leaving his inheritance to my sister and myself. He left 2 vehicles and I would like to know how to transfer the titles to my sister and myself (he owned them both outright). She lives in TN; I live in FL.

Asked on June 7, 2011 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  May I ask: did he leave a Last Will and Testament?  I am assuming that he did given the way that you have written the question:  "leaving his inheritance."  So who was names as the personal representative or the Executor of the estate?  Was it you once you are inquiring as to the particulars of transfer?  If you have been named and have gone through the necessary paperwork to be appointed as the fiduciary either in a regular estate proceeding or a small estate proceeding given the amount he left, then you as the Executor can transfer the title.  But I caution you: make sure that all the debts of the estate are paid and all the necessary paperwork done before you start disbursing assets.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption