How do I take my minor children off my deed to house?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I take my minor children off my deed to house?

I bought my home off my kids grandparents and
they put my 2 minor children on the deed. I’m
trying to sell my home and need to take them
off the deed. Our deed was a quitclamed deed
from their grandparents to myself and my 2
children, which are 16 and 17 years of age.

Asked on October 11, 2019 under Real Estate Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can't take them off: they are owners. Anyone on the deed to real estate is an owner of it, and you cannot take owners of a deed, or take away their ownership interest, without their consent. Since they are minors and are your children, you should be able to make the decision to sell for them, but they are entitled to their share of the proceeds, which you will have to manange and preserve for them, and turn over to them when they become adults.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption