How do I sue a company that is closed?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I sue a company that is closed?

A fraudulent school that I attended defrauded several students. I reported the school to the board of nursing and subsequently the school was closed. However, they did not provide my transcript to the board as required by the board (but provided most others). How now can I obtain either my transcript or a refund of my monies paid? The school administrator has now opened a new school and is defrauding new students.

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Business Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can.  But this question raises many issues that are complicated and can not be dealt with here.  First, I am assuming that they are a corporation and registered as such with the state.  But they may have dissolved the corporation after they were found out and opened up under a new corporation.  If you really want to get to the bottom of this fraudulent scheme contact not only the board of nursing but the Attorney General's Office in your state to help you with all of this.  They can help with these matters and may be able to get you what you need without you having to bring a lawsuit.  If that doesn't work then you can speak with an attorney about "piercing the corporate veil" of the new corporation operating under the new school and suing them and the old school.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption