How doI sign over all my parental rights?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI sign over all my parental rights?

I just want to know what forms, where to find them and the rules of signing over rights. My health is not doing so well because the mother of my daughter is overly stressing me out. My family can’t take it nor can my body. I live in one state and she lives in another.

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Family Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay take a deep breath.  The person that will suffer from this decision you must realize is your daughter, if the courts will even allow you to do as you seem to wish.  Generally speaking a court does not allow a person to relinquish their parental rights with out there being someone in the wings waiting to take on the responsibility by adopting the child.  Why?  Because you have parental obligations like supporting the child until she is 18 years old.  Now, is there a way for you to cut back on the stress by seeking legal help in laying down the ground rules for the mother?  Like a parenting plan? Get some help to set the ground rules.  And if she disobeys the rules call her on it.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption