How do I seek compensation for unpaid commission due to manager misconduct if I am still working for the same company but in a different state

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I seek compensation for unpaid commission due to manager misconduct if I am still working for the same company but in a different state

I have worked for the same company for a little over a year now, selling cell phones in store for a major cell phone company. The store I was working at was in Colorado springs. I worked at that store up in till my transfer as recent as a 8 -10 days ago. My position remained the same with the company and my job was transferred to a store in Los Angeles , California. Over a couple month time period my manager in Colorado had been falsifying commission records and altering time sheets. I was made aware of this by another manager that was sent to the store while my manger was on a leave of absence for maternity. The manger explained to me that based on records their were several instances of sales I had made with clear evidence it was only myself and the manager in the store yet the commission records reflected another employees name for the credit of sale which is also how our monthly commission is calculated for payment. He also said he found several time sheets that didn’t match time logs turned in to corporate for payment of paychecks. A few discrepancies he found were time logs indicating I was in the store on the sales floor and clocked in but conflicting payment logs where I was deducted for being on multiple extended lunches when I was clearly clocked in working. I don’t know what steps to take or who I go to next. Would it be HR in California since I live here now, again I still work for the company and don’t want to lose my job. I honestly think both the managers involved should be fired, one for the committing the offense and one for finding out and not doing anything with the information . I just want compensation for owed money without losing my job

Asked on September 16, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

HR or upper management might help you, but are not required to: the company does not have to look into this and does not have to take action to correct the situation. It would be voluntary for them to addess the situation. You can certainly ask for help, but cannot guaranty you will get it.
The only way to guaranty you get the money would be to sue for it and prove (e.g. by credible testimony of yourself and others; by time sheets and other documentation) that you were not paid what you should have been paid; if you prove this in court "by a preponderance of the evidence" (or that it is "more likely than not" that you are right), a court can order you payment. You could either sue the employer, for not paying you correctly; sue the manager, for essentially stealing from you; or sue both. This could obviously affect your relationship with your employer if you sue or implicate them, rather than suing only the manager who did this to you. If you sue the employer, you can likely sue in CA, since they have a presence there; but you'd most likely have to sue the manager in CO, where he did these things and (presumably) is located.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption