How do I resolve my fathers last verbal request?

UPDATED: May 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I resolve my fathers last verbal request?

My father had an exstensive coin collection that my eldest sister removed from his home for safe keeping. His last wish was to divide the coins between all 4 daughters. It is 8 yrs now and the eldest sister will not give up the coins. What can I do?

Asked on May 22, 2009 under Estate Planning, Connecticut


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If the request was made orally and no one was a witness and it was never written down than it becomes nearly impossible to enforce it. Your fathers estate including the coin collection will have to be divided as indicated in his last will and testament. If the matter has been probated than this issue should have been resolved during that process

Unfortunately at this point without some sort of evidence such as a written instrument regarding this wish your word that he made that statement does not suffice to enforce the division of the coins. Whomever the coins would be left to in the will is how they will be handled short of such a document

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption