How do I report a violation of equal pay for equal work?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I report a violation of equal pay for equal work?

I’m a Federal Employee in Texas. I was recently promoted to a
position one pay grade higher than two co-workers with similar
and lesser responsibilities. I then found out I was STILL
being paid less than both of them. I’ve reported it to
management with no reply/response. Where and how do I elevate
this issue?

Asked on June 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you mean that you are being paid less than others due (presumably) to your sex, race, age over 40, national origin, disability, or religion, then contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or EEOC to report illegal workplace discrimination. If you mean that there is no illegal discrimination of the above kinds going on, but that they are violating their internal pay policies, the law does not enforce those: all you can do is go through the agency's internal complaint, grievance, and/or appeals procedures, unless you have a written empoymet contract including a union or collective bargaining contract: if you have such a contract, get in touch with your union for help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption