How do I remove my name from a home I cosigned for?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I remove my name from a home I cosigned for?

In 2009 I co-signed on a house and my name is on the mortgage as well, I do not live in that home or pay any of the bills/mortgage. I would like to purchase my home but feel this is holding me back. What steps would I have to take first?

Asked on December 29, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You *can't* remove your name from the mortgage without--
1) Paying it off; 
2) Someone else, like a co-owner, refinancing the mortgage solely in his or her own name; or
3) The consent, or agreement, of *all* parties to the mortgage, including the bank, to removing you---and the bank/lender will not consent, because it is not in their interest: removing you from the mortgage eliminates a person who is responsible to pay, and whom they could sue if they are not paid.
The mortgage is a contract: you cannot remove yourself from it aginst the will of the other parties to the contract, unless, as stated in 1) and 2) above, it is paid off or refinanced. So you need your co-owner to agree to refinance in his/her name alone, or you need the home to be sold and the proceeds used to pay the mortgage. If you want to sell the home, but the other owner does not, you can bring a legal action (lawsuit) for "partition"--that is, for a court order that the home be sold, the loan paid off, and the remaining proceeds (if any) distributed between the owners (after paying the costs of sale). This is the law's remedy for the situation where the owners can't agree on what to do with the property. If you want to explore this option, consult with a real estate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption