How do I remedy the mistake of2 petty theft tickets I received as a teenager in order to get a job now?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I remedy the mistake of2 petty theft tickets I received as a teenager in order to get a job now?

I am 20 years old and do not have much business, or legal, experience. My marketable skills are limited and I am financially hurting. I am also arguably disabled, as I am being treated for severe Bipolar Disorder. I only have experience in retail, but early last year I wasn’t being treated and had an issue with kleptomania. I was caught twice, cited and charged. Now that I am being treated properly by a psychiatrist, I am trustworthy and have over a year’s worth of retail and managerial experience, but I can’t even get an interview because of the tickets. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on August 4, 2011 Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

One possibilty to remove the two petty theft tickets (and presumed convictions) that are holding you back in employment is to consult with a criminal defense attorney to see about the possibility of having the convictions expunged.

In an expungement motion the person who has been convicted of a crime seeks the court to hold that the convictions no longer exist. There is no guarantee that such a motion would be successful, but it is worth a try and worth looking into.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption