How do I receive pay for work performed?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I receive pay for work performed?

I’m an IC freelancer, and I’ve worked for a transcription for two months now that is not paying me the more than $3,000 owed to me for work performed. How do I get my money owed when she is ignoring me and putting me off?

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Arkansas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can either wait for a couple of more weeks, or you can file a lawsuit for breach or contract or for payment of services rendered.  You may want to start with a certified demand letter for payment and include a copy of the invoice.  The amount you are talking about will probably fall in small claims court, which means that you could file it yourself, but you may still want to involve an attorney.  Getting a judgment is usually the easy part of any suit involving an account.  The hard part is getting the respondent to pay on the judgment.  An attorney that does collections will know how to find and attach assets if the company continues to ignore requests for payment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption