How do I receive deferred prosecution or pretrial diversion and get an underage drinking citation expunged?

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 4, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I receive deferred prosecution or pretrial diversion and get an underage drinking citation expunged?

What do I need to do to get one of these and get my citation expunged? Do I need a lawyer? What can I do before my court date to speed up this process?

Asked on July 4, 2012 under Criminal Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you retain a criminal defense attorney to represent you in the matter that you are writing about and to assist you in negotiating a deferred prosecution or pre-trial diversion with respect to the underage drinking citation that you received with the district attorney's office.

The best that you can do to speed up the legal process is to retain a criminal defense attorney before your first appearance, the arraignment.

If you receive a deferred prosecution sentence from the court and/or pre-trial diversion and you are successful in these programs, then the charge will be dismissed by the court and there will be no criminal conviction to try and later expunge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption