How do I receive a teaching position with a reckless driving conviction?

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I receive a teaching position with a reckless driving conviction?

I was convicted of reckless driving in MI 1 1/2 years ago. It is considered a misdemeanor here. I went out with some of my fellow teacher friends. We had a couple of drinks and went dancing. My one friend had never been to the area and parked her car at the city park so I told her that I did not think it was safe for her to walk to find her car and that I would take her there in my car. Upon pulling out of the parking lot, I inadvertently pulled out in front of a police officer. After following me, without me being aware, he pulled me over. I was told that I cut him off as I came out of the parking lot and failed to use my turn signal twice. He then gave me a breathalyzer test and charged me with an OWI. I did hire a lawyer and the lawyer found flaws in the administering of my breathalyzer test so I convicted of a misdemeanor of reckless driving. My license was suspended for 90 days, I did 60 hours of community service, and received 6 points on my license. Unfortunately, the school I was teaching at was closed due to budget cuts and I am currently out searching for a new teaching position. If I am offered a teaching position, I will need to fill out an application asking if I have ever been convicted of a misdemeanor. I will have to answer yes. I will also be fingerprinted. The misdemeanor will come up on my record. How do I explain my situation to a perspective employer without telling more than is needed, but being honest? This is the only thing on my criminal record and I haven’t even been pulled over for speeding since. I am afraid that my teaching career is over. What do I do?

Asked on July 24, 2011 Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You should consult with a criminal defense lawyer about the possibility of having your misdemeanor conviction "expunged", meaning canceled.

In many States in this country, there is a process to expunge a criminal conviction depending upon the circumstances for the conviction, the type of conviction, the amount of time passing since the conviction and other factors. This is perhaps a good option for you.

You also should verify that your conviction for reckless driving was actually a misdemeanor asopposed to a citation.

Another option is simply telling the truth about the reckless driving conviction and how it resulted. Your potential employer hopefully will appreciate your honesty. To not list the misdemeanor conviction could have an adverse effect for you. You could get the job, your employer finds out afterwards and then there could be termination of your job for not disclosing the conviction on your application.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption