How do I prove my income for an Affidavit of Support if I’ve never filed taxes?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I prove my income for an Affidavit of Support if I’ve never filed taxes?

My husband’s I-130 was approved and I know the next step is for me to have proof of financial in come. However, I’ve never done taxes since I’ve never earned more than $1,500 a year, all in cash. My parents and brothers help me financially. I know that if I do not have sufficient income I need a co-sponsor which I have but do I still need to show proof of income? And, if so, how do I go about getting it? Also, will this affect his case or prolong the process?

Asked on September 7, 2015 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You have to submit a tax return even if you do not owe any taxes if you are required to do so or submit an explanation as to why you do not need to file tax returns.  THe joint sponsor will need to submit his/her tax return and proof of income through paycheck stubs and employment verification letter and proof of citizenship. as well as complete the form for the affidavit of support.  Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption