How do i plea and how do i keep this off my record?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do i plea and how do i keep this off my record?

Hello My son son was charged with theft
by taking. He and a friend who i just
found out isn’t new to this. My son has
mental issues which makes him very
guilable and is easily influenced. How
do should he plea in court and keep this
off of his record? We’ve trying to get
him into a work program before this
happened and some counseling. Please

Asked on October 21, 2019 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

He should plead not guilty initially while he retains and consults with an attorney. This is too complex an issue for you or your son to navigat without an attorney's help. There are different possible approaches--try to negotiate a plea to a lesser offense; try to negotiate an outcome where if you son does not commit any other offenses for a defined period of time, the case will be dismissed; expungement after the fact; trying to defend the case (i.e. go to trial on it) on the basis that your son's mental issues prevented him from forming the necessary criminal intent--all of which have different pros, cons, and challenges. You and your son need a criminal defense attorney's help.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption