How do I petition the court to assign a new custodian for bank accounts that my mom set up for her great grandchildren?

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I petition the court to assign a new custodian for bank accounts that my mom set up for her great grandchildren?

I am the executor of her Will but they say that isn’t good enough.

Asked on June 24, 2014 under Estate Planning, Oregon


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. What would happen is that you would have to file the petition to appoint the successor custodian (or trustee in some states) and ask the court to appoint that person. Also included would likely be a declaration and a proposed order and a memorandum of points and authorities in support of the petition. If you have an attorney they can do it.  But if you are doing this on your own then it is possible that you can go down to the Probate Court and ask them which Petition form to use and then go to the library (legal library generally inside the court houses) and ask where the procedural form book is and copy same. You would have to give notice to interested parties, etc. You as the Executor has the power to do all of this.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption