How do I overcome a roadblock with insurance adjuster?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I overcome a roadblock with insurance adjuster?

I was in a car accident in SC. I was not at fault, as the other driver was given citation and was deemed go be at fault. I have around 12k in doctor bills. The adjuster stated they would not pay for

the second hospital visit which was about 5k. I sent a demand letter in for 200k. And he sent a offer back of 5k. The adjuster is not in my opinion making me a fair offer. He will not come up any on the amount. I talked to a attorney and he said since I’ve gone this far with it, I should finish it. I find by self trying to sail with no wind.

Asked on April 5, 2019 under Accident Law, South Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The amount in a demand letter is never paid by an insurance company. It is just for purposes of negotiation. You might want to reduce that amount and continue negotiating.
If the case is not settled, your recourse is to sue the at-fault party for negligence.
If the case is not settled, your lawsuit must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption