How do I obtain my father’s estate if I am only child and he had no surviving spouse?

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I obtain my father’s estate if I am only child and he had no surviving spouse?

I’m an only child of my deceased father and his girlfriend will not give me the key he left for me nor will she give me possession of his estate. How should I handle this matter?

Asked on January 9, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your father passed without a Will or trust in place, then under the intestacy laws of the state that your father passed away in, you most likely are entitled to inherit a portion of his estate. I suggest that you consult with a Wills and trust attorney concerning the situation you are writing about in that your question is pretty vague as to what you might have received from your father if anything.

If he has a Will or trust, then the Will or trust would generally control as to the ditribution of his estate. I suggest that you proceed with consulting the suggested attorney sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption