How do I obtain a copy of my mother’s will

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I obtain a copy of my mother’s will

My mother passed away on March 6, 2016 in Broward County, Florida. My father
refuses to speak with me and says I am not entitled to see my mother’s will. He
is 86 years old, and has been suffering from undiagnosed dementia.

Asked on April 11, 2016 under Estate Planning, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you have the right to see your mother's Will. If it's already been entered into probate, then it is a matter of public record, which means that you or anyone else has a right to see it. If it has not yet been entered into probate, then as a either child or named beneficary, you are an "interested party". This means that legally you have the right to see her Will. If your father is unwilling to let you see it, you can contact the appropriate probate court and/or consult directly with a probate attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption