How doI modify child support filedinone statewhenI currently live in anotherand my ex lives in another?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI modify child support filedinone statewhenI currently live in anotherand my ex lives in another?

I was paying child support for 8 years until about 2 weeks ago when I had to quit my job; I am going full-time to college during day (my classes were nights for the first year however they shifted to day). I was making $13.50 an hour for 40 hours a week and now only making around $8.25 an hour for only 30 hours week (if that). I just started. Without having to live in my car I cannot maintain a place to live, make my car payment and go to school fulltime for a degree. I live in PA; ex is in MO; order issued in TX. 

Asked on August 1, 2011 Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is a basic "rule" that applies in court cases: that the court be allowed to hear that type of case (subject matter jurisdiction) and that the court be allowed to make a decision over the person or persons involved in the case (personal jurisdiction).  In cases involving children and child support and custody, the laws are pretty uniform that the application to the court to modify the order5s pertaining to children MUST be made in the state in which the children reside.  So your application to modify has to be made in Missouri.  Yes, Missouri.  Now, courts permit modification when there is a change in circumstances.  However, a party can not intentionally change their circumstances to avoid support.  You have said that your classes have been switched, not that you intentionally switched them.  And you seem to still be working which shows your intent to still be supporting.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption