How do I make these people pay my son what he is owed

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I make these people pay my son what he is owed

My son was asked to go to work for a
mechanic shop at 350 a week now it’s
time to pay and the employer is
saying it was 50 dollars a day and
he won’t pay. Until a car is
completed..this was not the
agreement I was witness to the
meeting when she interviewed him in
my living room…what can we do

Asked on July 3, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your son (if he is an adult) or you on his behalf (if he is a minor) can sue the shop for breach of contract, for not paying the agreed-upon amount or honoring the other terms of the agreement. (Oral agreements are contracts, too.) To win, you and your son would have to prove the terms of the agreement and that he did the work; if you don't have documentation, you could use witness testimony. If the amount at stake is under the limit for small claims court, filing the suit in small claims, acting as your own attorney ("pro se") to save legal fees is an excellent option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption