How do I legally dispose of my ex-boyfriend’s property?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I legally dispose of my ex-boyfriend’s property?

My boyfriend moved in with me for a few months but was never on the rental agreement. We broke up and he moved out but he left a few of his belongings in the apartment and now wont come and get them. How do I legally dispose of his property?

Asked on August 1, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In the circumstances that you have written about where you are not the landlord with respect to the unit that you shares with your boyfriend where he left his possessions behind on move out, I would write him a letter stating that he has thirty (30) days to pick such up, and if not, you will dispose the items as being abandoned any way you see fit.

If thirty (30) days come and go and the items are still at the rental, dispose of them any way you want. Make sure you keep a copy of the letter sent to the boyfriend for future use and need.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption