How do I know if I was illegally imprisoned?

UPDATED: Apr 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I know if I was illegally imprisoned?

I was arrested on drug charges. I bonded out of jail.  I returned 2 days later to pick up my vehicle that has been impounded. I was arrested again for a “probation/bond revocation”. I was held for 4 months in a county jail without bail. I finally got a bond set when I was indicted. I bonded out immediately. However 13 months later all charges were dismissed for lack of evidence. Is that legal?

Asked on April 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, Alabama


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I would most definitely speak with an attorney on this matter, preferably one that does criminal work and personal injury work.  There are a whole lot of issues that need to be looked in t, like why was your bond revoked in the first place and why you were in jail for so long without a bond hearing the second time.  Something really does not sound right here and you should indeed look in to it especially given the fact that the matter was dismissed in the end for lack of evidence.  And by the way, ask the attorney about expungement of your arrest and record here.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption