How do I help a friend who was caught with drugs, while on parole, that belong to me, now that they’ve been arrested and charged?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I help a friend who was caught with drugs, while on parole, that belong to me, now that they’ve been arrested and charged?

My friend was set up by his girlfriend

using drugs that I had left in his

vehicle. He’s already on parole and

being caught with my drugs will put him

back in prison for most likely the rest

of his life. I want to do the right

thing and help my friend as he wasn’t

even aware that I had those in his

vehicle. I also would like to find out

how to properly deal with his

backstabbing girlfriend, whom i told

about leaving my stuff behind and then

having her use that to jam my friend up.

She and her other boyfriend had robbed

my friend in the morning, then reported

my stuff in the car to el paso county

parole as my friends resulting in his

arrest and leaving them able to finish

cleaning out my friends place. This is a

crazy and completely unfair situation

and my friend does not deserve to lose

his freedom for any amount of time for

this. I’m scared and angry but want to

do the right thing as much as I can.

What should I do as his prelim hearing

is on Monday?

Asked on November 24, 2018 under Criminal Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Bear in mind, about the only way you can help your friend is if YOU admit to the drugs being yours and take full responsibility for them, and do so in a way that the authorities will believe that your friend had no involvement and not even any knowledge of the drugs. This means, however, that you then take the consequences (e.g. jail) for drug possession. That the girlfriend is backstabbing, robbed him, etc. is not relevant to the drug charges: someone owned/possessed them, and someone will have to take the punishment for them.
Think carefully before doing this, and please consult in person with an attorney to understand better what you could be facing if you do this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption