How do I have a record of conviction for a violationif the sentence was “discharged”?

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 4, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I have a record of conviction for a violationif the sentence was “discharged”?

I was cited for non-payment of bus fare for a expired bus pass 5 years ago. I was told it was a “fix it” ticket. I appeared before a judge as required with my new bus pass. I was told everything was done. I recently started a new job and a criminal background was ran. This appeared as a conviction with sentence discharged.

Asked on December 4, 2011 under Criminal Law, Oregon


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If an action has been discharged, then there can be no conviction to appear on a criminal background check. Likewise, a conviction for a crime cannot be discharged. It can be "expunged". If "expunged" the crime and its conviction for what it is based upon no longer exists.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney over what transpired as to the bus fare incident. If the charge was dismissed, then you should seek to have your file "sealed" by court order. If there was a conviction, you should seek to have the conviction "expunged".


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption