How do I have a deed executed thattransfers title to property from me alone to my daughter and I?

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I have a deed executed thattransfers title to property from me alone to my daughter and I?

Can I do this myself or have to have a real estate lawyer? In King County. WA. 

Asked on April 26, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Washington


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can transfer the property to your daughter by a grant deed.  I assume that your daughter is at least 18.  The grant deed would say, I ____________ (your name) grant to ___________ (your daughter's name), a single woman ____________  (legal description of the property you are transferring to your daughter).

This document should be signed in the presence of a notary and then recorded with the County Recorder in the county where the property is located.

If you are transferring only part of your property to your daughter, you want to specifically state that in the grant deed.  For example, I,__________ (your name) own 10 acres of __________ (legal description of the property).  I grant to __________ (daughter's name) 5 acres of the northeast quadrant of ___________ (legal description of the property).

You can obtain the legal description of the property from the County Recorder's office.  Look for your name in the grantor/grantee index in the computer at the County Recorder's office.  The County Recorder's office will also be able to tell you the fee that is charged for recording the grant deed.

This can be done without an attorney.

If your daughter is single, you want to list that in the grant deed as I mentioned above to prevent a future spouse from asserting a claim to the property.  If your daughter is married, you might want to contact an attorney about drafting the language in the grant deed because it will be more involved since a spouse would have an interest in the property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption