How do I go about starting a divorce?

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about starting a divorce?

Asked on December 29, 2011 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You file a petition for divorce. The comtents of that petition depends on the facts of your case (alimony, child custody, child support, marital home, child support, marital debt, etc.)

The petition, summons, and motion for temporary orders(dependimg on your case) are filed with the court? Note, the court will require a filing fee.

They will return copies to be served on the opposing party.  You give the paperwork to a process server to serve on the opposing party. 

The process server will give you proof of service that you then file with the court.

Each divorce is handled differently. Without more facts, this is the best I could do.

Hope this helps

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption