How do I go about putting my son’s father on his birth certificate and giving him his father’s last name?

UPDATED: Jan 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about putting my son’s father on his birth certificate and giving him his father’s last name?

My son is almost 3 and I never put his father on his birth certificate. Recently his father and I got back together and got married. We had a paternity test done to show that it is my husband is my son’s biological father.

Asked on January 13, 2011 under Family Law, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

In a situation where a birth father's name is not listed on a their child's birth certificate, an amendment to the certificate must be requested.  You need to contact the agency where your child's certificate is kept.  In MD it is the Division of Vital Records (see below).  Contact them regarding the change.  You will be instructed what to do from there.  Typically, to request corrections, you must be the person listed on the document (birth certificate)and both parents must write and sign a letter explaining the details of their situation (or possibly even appear in person to make their request).  Additionally, supporting identification records will be required to make an amendment (photo ID with a signature, pay stub, bank statement, utility bill, or current car registration), plus a copy of the paternity test, as well any other documentation that the Vital Records Department may request.

To amend a MD birth certificate contact: Division of Vital Records, Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, 6550 Reisterstown Rd., PO Box 68760, Baltimore, MD, 21215; or call 410-260-6400.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption