How doI go about getting a state ID ifI have no birth certificate or social security card?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How doI go about getting a state ID ifI have no birth certificate or social security card?

The Health Department and the DMV both tell me I need a birth certificate for an ID and an ID for a birth certificate. So where do I start? My mom is very uncooperative and I lost my wallet recently which contained my only form of photo identification, a high school ID as well as my social security card. What are my options?

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Business Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you know in what city and state you were born in you most likely need to personally go down to the county's (in the city where you were born vital statistics) department (birth and marriage certificate department) and obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate.

Once obtained, you then take the certified copy of your birth certificate to the department of motor vehicles to obtain an identification card in the state where you live. Likewise, if you know your social security number (assuming you have one), contact the Social Security Administraction and seek a copy of your social security card after you obtain your state identification number.

The above is a start for you to get some identification that you can present to others for future need.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption