How do I go about getting paid for hours that I worked but that I’m not being paid for?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about getting paid for hours that I worked but that I’m not being paid for?

At the beginning of when I began to work at this popcorn company, I wasn’t able to clock in, so I wrote down my hours. I wrote them down and put them into

the folder where he could see it. When I received my check it was 12 hours instead of 18, I even have messaged between my boss and I and I don’t think

he plans on paying me for my full hours. How do I go about getting the money I worked for?

Asked on October 16, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue your employer for breach of contract / account stated.  Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the amount you are owed.
You can file your lawsuit in small claims court.
Another option is to contact your state's labor board and file a complaint against your employer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption