How do I go about getting Power of Attorney over health and finances for my father who has Alzheimer’s

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about getting Power of Attorney over health and finances for my father who has Alzheimer’s

Stage 4 Alzheimer’s
Live with father
Need to set up poa

Asked on July 30, 2017 under Estate Planning, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If despite the Alzheimer's, your father is mentally competent still, he can sign a POA for you giving you whatever power you and he feel is best. Have a lawyer draft one up and arrange to make sure it is witnessed correctly on signing, so it will be enforceable.
If the Alzheimer's means your father is already mentally incompetent, he cannot create a POA--only those who are mentally competent can do so. You'd have to file a legal action in court to have your father declared incompetent to manage his own affairs (you would need medical evidence and doctor reports and/or testimony for this) and yourself declared his legal guardian, to make decisions for you. This can be a complex legal action for a non-attorney; retain an elder law attorney to help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption