How do I go about getting my deposit back?

UPDATED: May 19, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about getting my deposit back?

I moved out of an apartment where I was on the lease with 2 other people. The end of the lease was Jan 09 where I gave enough notice that I was not going to renew the lease. However, one of the roommates stayed. The property manager has a policy to return deposit only when the unit is emptied. The ex-roommate has not returned my deposit. How do I go about getting my deposit back when the ex-roommate is saying I need to get it from the property manager and the property manager is saying I need to get it back from the ex-roommates?

Asked on May 19, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Hawaii


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Your landlord should refund the deposit to you and collect a new deposit from the roommates that have renewed the lease.  In most states, there are laws requiring a landlord to return the deposit within 30 days you moving out of the property.  The law also generally states, that you are entitled to double the deposit money if he fails to timely return it, plus your attorney's fees and costs if you need to hire  a lawyer.  I would write a letter to the landlord sending it certified mail requesting the deposit and indicating the date you moved out of the property.  If the landlord faisl to respond, hire a laywer to sue for the deposit or file a small claims case yourself.  I think that the landlord should be responsible here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption