how do i go about clearing my record for petty larceny,which was supposed to be cleared in 6 mos.back in 1971?

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

how do i go about clearing my record for petty larceny,which was supposed to be cleared in 6 mos.back in 1971?

was arrested for petty larceny,pleaded guilty was fined and told if i did’nt get in trouble in 6 mos my record would be cleared,38 years later with a clean record its still on the books,what are my options?

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Criminal Law, New York


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You can have your record sealed if the charges were dismissed, vacated, set-aside, or otherwise terminated.

You need to find out from the court where you were convicted if they did any of the above to your conviction after 6 months in 1971. If the court did, then you need to ask the court to seal your record. If the court did not, then you can ask the court to dismiss, vacate, set-aside, or terminate the charge so that you can subsequently seal the record. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption