How do I go about adopting an adult?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I go about adopting an adult?

In TX.

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The procedures for adult adoptions are actually much simpler than child adoptions.  Child adoptions tend to be more complicated because they involve the termination of other parental rights, policy interests for the protection of the child, and the completion of a social study.  Adult adoptions mainly require the consent of both the petitioner (the person who wants to become the parent) and the adult child.  If the petitioner is married, then the spouse of the petitioner must also consent to the adoption.  Like a child adoption, an adult adoption begins with the filing of a petition.  A short hearing will be held by the court to approve the adoption.  Generally, the adult "parent to be" and the adult child are required to attend.  However, this requirement can be waived by the court.  Once the court approves the adoption, then a final order will be entered.  The final order is prepared by the petitioner or the attorney for the petitioner.  Once approved, the adoption gives the adult adopted child all of the rights of any biological children. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption