How do I get unauthorized repairs fixed if the repairs don’t work?

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 1, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get unauthorized repairs fixed if the repairs don’t work?

I sent my laptop back to where I purchased it (different state) to have hinges replaced under warranty. When I received it back, they replaced the hinges, and replaced the motherboard and internal wireless card. The replacement of the motherboard and wireless card were unauthorized. The wireless card does not work. It is past the warranty and I’m being told that they won’t fix it. The laptop is now just over a year old, I spent good money on it for college and am getting the run around.

Asked on August 1, 2011 New Hampshire


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to now basically work this angle. You have people and a company who did work you did not authorize. If you have the work order or copy of email or communications clearly showing you only authorized the hinges, you are in good shape. Contact the company and go up the chain until this is resolved. This may require lots of phone calls but you will need to adapt and go with it. Second, contact your state attorney general to see if it can help you or if you need to contact the state attorney general where the work was done. Then you need to contact your credit card company (hopefully this is what you used to pay for the repair) and file a complaint. Most card companies can help you resolve this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption