How do I get people to stop harrassing me for money that I do not owe?

UPDATED: Aug 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get people to stop harrassing me for money that I do not owe?

Approximately 2 years ago I rented a car at an airport in France. The agent refused to check the car prior to my driving off the lot as it was too dark to see; there was no lighting in the lot. She told me to call the office in the morning and let them know if the car had damages; apparently it did. The hotel front desk clerk make the call and I spoke to an agent but they say there is no record of the call. I am now getting calls and mail from a debt collector telling me that if I don’t pay the account will be turned over to an attorney. I did not take out insurance coverage.

Asked on August 7, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

California has a laws against unfair debt collection practices. Additionally, there are federal laws on the subject as well. Both laws prohibit conduct by third party debt collection agencies that are harassing, deceptive or misleading. Threats that the "account" where you allegedly owe money will be turned over to an attorney by the third party debt collector could very well be an unfair debt collection practice.

Since you are receiving telephone calls and mail from a third part debt collector over alleged damage to a rented car you had several years ago, you want this conduct to cease, you should consult with an attorney familiar with California's unfair debt collection practices law as well as the federal law on the subject.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption