How do I get rid of a felony on my record?

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get rid of a felony on my record?

Got busted for DUI/Felony Evading 12 years ago. My lawyer at the time told me once I did my time the Felony would be knocked down to a misdemeanor. The felony is still on my record.

Asked on January 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a felony conviction on your record stemming from a conviction 12 years ago, possibly you might be able to have a motion to expunge the conviction granted, where if granted, for all intents and purposes the conviction never happened. However, unless your criminal file concerning the conviction is sealed, the file will be subject to public review.

You might consider consulting with a criminal defense attorney who has filed motions to expunge convictions in the past to see what the costs to file such a motion would be and the chances of success.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption