How do I get reimbursed for damages to my condo caused by negligence of a bank owned condo next door?

UPDATED: Aug 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get reimbursed for damages to my condo caused by negligence of a bank owned condo next door?

The property next door was abandoned over a year ago and they turned off the utilities when they moved. When it got down to 20 below 0 in February, the pipes burst causing water damage to my basement. I have left several messages with the bank and cannot get anyone to return my call. I want to get reimbursed for the $650 that I paid for restoration and replacing the carpet pad.

Asked on August 2, 2011 Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have your own insurance policy for property damage to your condominium, you should immediately make a claim to your insurance agent. From there, your own carrier could possibly reimburse you for the damages sustained by the burst pipes.

If you do not have insurance or the claim is not covered, you need to write the owner of the next door property that caused damages to yours a letter with receipts asking to be paid within a set time period. If no payment results, your recourse is to bring a small claims court action against the next door property owner for the $650.00 you incurred for repairs.

Make sure you keep copies of all letters sent and invoices as evidence if you need to go to court.

Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption