How do I get property in my name after it was awarded to me in a divorce settlement?

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get property in my name after it was awarded to me in a divorce settlement?

I want to refinance my house and property. I need to have my ex sign quit claim deed. The house and property were awarded to me in our divorce settlement last year. However, she has refused to sign a deed. Can I petition the court to remove her using the divorce settlement (signed by her and the judge) and have her name removed from the current loan and deed? If so, how do I proceed?

Asked on February 10, 2012 under Family Law, Michigan


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You cannot have the court remove her. This is up to the lender/servicer and it doesn't necessarily have to abide by a court order to which it was not a party. So the best bet is to take her back to court for being in contempt and see if you can have the order amended to force her to quitclaim property but also make her work with the lender to have it refinanced in your name only. It will be hard so you may try to talk to the lender yourself about what it can do to fast track.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption