How do I get power of atterney in Arkansas?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get power of atterney in Arkansas?

I am needing to get power of
atterney on my grandmother. My
issue is that she is still legally
married. Her ‘husband’ was just
released from prison where he was
since ’99. Would I still be able
to obtain power of atterney over
her with her still technically
being married? And how do I go
about doing s

Asked on June 20, 2017 under Estate Planning, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

*You* don't do anything: she does. Assuming your grandmother is mentally competent (only mentally competent people can grant powers of attorney, or POAs), your grandmother can create a POA for you at will. (You and she could find forms online to help you, but you are advised to have an attorney draft it for you.) The thing is, as stated, *she* must do this--voluntarily. While she has the power to grant you a POA, she has no obligation to do so, and you have no way to compel her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption