How do I get out of my apartment lease without having to pay the remainder of term?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get out of my apartment lease without having to pay the remainder of term?

My apartment building is scary and i hate living here but i can’t afford to pay the reminder of the lease agreement while paying for another place. I have called the cops from seeing people try to break into cars, theres always a smell of weed next door and the cops are always at the complex. How do I get out of this without having to pay for the next 6 months?

Asked on March 23, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can't get out of the lease unless the *landlord* violates the lease in some way: a lease is a contract, and if party A breaches it in some material (important) way, that breach can justify party B in treating it as terminated. But the landlord is not responsible for the crime in the neighborhood or the criminal acts of persons not under its control, only for its own actions; if you leave early for those reasons, the landlord could legally hold you to the lease and sue you for the rent due for all remaining months.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption