How do I get out of a month-to-month lease if the roommate does not want to leave?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get out of a month-to-month lease if the roommate does not want to leave?

I have been told by my apartment complex that I am unable to remove my
name from the lease due to the fact that the roommate does not want to
move out. He is not being approved for an apartment alone, or with another
person and refuses to leave. I am told that there is nothing I can do in order
to remove my name from the apartment….. How do I get off a month-to-
month lease??

Asked on August 22, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It doesn't matter if your roommate wants to stay: if you are on a month-to-month lease, you may terminate it, as the very term "month-to-month" makes clear, on a (full) month's notice: e.g. you could give your landlord notice today (8/23) that your last day will be 9/30 (the end of September) and will not be responsible for rent after that. That may, of course, leave your roommate in a bad place--he'd have to pay all rent himself, or also move, or find a new roommate fast.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption