How do I get out of a lease with an arbitration agreement?

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get out of a lease with an arbitration agreement?

Our basement has leaked for 3 months and there are vines growing through a window in our townhouse. They have come in multiple times but we consistently have both of these problems. They haven’t sealed the window and the basement still leaks. I have pictures and dates of when we let our leasing office know of the problems. I have severe asthma and am worried about mold in the basement- the leaking has also ruined a lot of personal items. I do not want to pay thousands of dollars to break this lease.

Asked on December 12, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to try and resolve the situation that you are in is to send a written letter to the leasing office memorializing the problems you have had with this rental setting a certain date for the repairs to start.

 If the date to start comes and goes without the repairs started, then you should consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the water intrusion issues you are having and the failure of the leasing office to rectify the situation. You might also consider contacting the local health department and building and permit department for an inspection on the unit.

Given the situation that you have with the rental, its condition may be so bad that it may not be fit for human habitation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption