How do I get out of a contract with a realtor who was to sell my house?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get out of a contract with a realtor who was to sell my house?

My home is currently on the market.The agent is not working
out. I need to get out of the contract. If I understand
correctly I should have received copies of all paperwork
within two days of signing. It is now over three months and I
have never received any.

Asked on February 27, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Simply not getting copies of the paperwork will not let you out of the contract. You could get out IF you can show that the agent is not in fact making reasonable efforts to show or market your house, because that would be a breach of his or her obligations; that breach would enable you to treat the contract as terminated. Since this is a subjective standard--there is no hard and fast rule for when a realtor is or is not making reasonable efforts--before you take steps that could result in litigation (e.g. if the agent tries to sue to enforce the contract), make sure that you believe his/her efforts are not merely lackluster, but inadequate by any reasonable standard; you want to confident of being able to prove this if need be (e.g. if sued by the agent).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption