How do I get off of a apartment lease as a co-signer?

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get off of a apartment lease as a co-signer?

My son had us co-sign on a year lease 7 months ago in his college town. What he failed to tell us was he was suspended from that college the previous spring. We assumed that his financial aid would cover most of his housing costs like the previous year. But to our surprise he wasn’t getting any financial aid he lied to us. How do I get my name off the lease?

Asked on March 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately you can not unless there are "legal" reasons that allow it.  From what you have written here it does not sound like you have those reasons.  Please take the lease to an attorney in the area of the college town (or if it is too far away then one in your area may be able to help).  You need to determine if in fact you have alternatives here like subletting the place, etc.  his will mitigate the rent until the lease is up.  Hurry. Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption