How do I get my verbally and mentally abusive boyfriend to move out?

UPDATED: Aug 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my verbally and mentally abusive boyfriend to move out?

My daughter has been in her apartment for 4 years. Her boyfriend moved in approximately a month ago. He has since turned crazy on her. He is extremely verbally and mentally abusive to her to the point she is staying with a friend. He will not leave – at first he said he would be out by next month, however, last night he said he would be out soon. Today he says he’s not leaving – that she should change the sheets on her bed because he’s moved on. Everything she owns is in that apartment. I am afraid this will eventually turn physical. He is not on the lease.

Asked on August 6, 2011 New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your daughter should seek a competent attorney and request that a restraining order be obtained against her boyfriend citing the abuse and the fact that he is not a signed tenant on her lease. From what you have written, your daughter should be concerned that if a restraining order is not obtained against her boyfriend, he could end up hurting her.

The restraining order should request that the boyfriend be ordered out of the apartment and stay a certain distance away from her.

If a judge grants the restraining order requested and the boyfriend violates the order, he will be immediately arrested because copies of issued restraining orders are lodged with the local police department.

Once the restraining order is obtained, the landlord should be given a copy of it as well so he or she is aware that the boyfriend is not allowed at the apartment complex.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption