How do I get my security deposit back?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my security deposit back?

My previous landlord sold the property and my security was transferred to the new owner. I was not given a new lease. I moved out and the new owner is refusing to refund me the security claiming that I broke the least (which is under the previous owners name) and that the damages that already existed prior to me moving in were mine. The new landlord never viewed the property prior to buying? What can I do?

Asked on January 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In your situation, I would write letters to both the first landlord and the second landlord demanding the return of your full security deposit by a certain date. Keep a copy of the letter for future need and reference.

If you do not receive the full return of your security deposit by the demanded date, I would sue both former landlords in small claims court. I would let them explain to the judge why you have not received the return of your security deposit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption