How do I get my name removed from a life insurance policy that was taken out on me without my permission?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my name removed from a life insurance policy that was taken out on me without my permission?

I recently received a bill for I life insurance policy in my name. It appears that my mother who has been deceased for almost 3 years took out the policy without my permission. I was also a strange from my mother and brother for several years and know nothing about her financial situation. I called the insurance company to clear matters what they’re asking for paperwork that I’m not privy to. I ask them to remove my name from that account. But they have not offered me an actual way to do so.

Asked on November 12, 2011 under Insurance Law, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your mother took out a life insurance policy and placed your name as the insured, something sounds fishy. You may wish to first pull your credit reports (all three) and see what is there in terms of history on this matter. Then, if the insurance company is now sending you bills, you need to find out who was paying the bills up until now (who was paying the premiums). If it is your mother and you are the policy holder (and not the beneficiary), you are entitled to tha information. If the insurance policy is playing games with you and won't give you the information, you immediately contact two agencies: your state's department of insurance and your attorney general.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption