How do I get my name off of my ex-husband’s mortgage?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my name off of my ex-husband’s mortgage?

I’m divorced 5 years and my ex still lives in the marital house; my mane is still on the mortgage. He says that his credit is too bad to buy me out. How do I get my name off?

Asked on February 5, 2018 under Real Estate Law, New Hampshire


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Actually, you can't. The reason is that the bank was not a party to your divorce, so the fact that your ex was awarded the house in your divorce is not relevant to, or binding on, them. Since your ex-husband cannot refinance due to poor credit, perhaps he can sell. If he won't and you are also on the deed (not just the mortgage), then as a co-owner you can force a sale (via something known as a "sale in lieu of partition"). At this point, you should consult with a real estate attorney as to specific state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption