How do I get my money from my grandfather?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my money from my grandfather?

My grandfather died in 2015. I recently found
out my brother received 5,000 from him. He
said he left all his nieces and nephews
something. I don’t speak to any of my family.
Except my 20 year old brother. I am 19. I found
out because my brother asked to borrow the
money I never got. I have a newborn, single
mom. And that would definitely benefit for his
well being. I contacted my aunt and cousin and
they are acting like they do not know what I am
talking about nor received anything from him. I
do not know how to go about this.

Asked on April 4, 2017 under Estate Planning, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  If your Grandfather had a Will and you were left something in the Will you should have been notified in some way (understand that if they did not know how to reach you they may have published in a paper).  If he had a Will it was probated in the Surrogate's Court in the county in which he resided at the time of his death and it is on file as a public record.  Start by going and getting a copy.  If you are indeed named and had been given inheritance then contact the Executor of the Will by letter sent certified mail.  You may also need legal consultation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption