How do I get my half of an LLC that I started with a partner?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I get my half of an LLC that I started with a partner?

I started lumbing company with a partner and he got hooked on drugs and ran off with two old vans and all tools after less than 2 years of business. Then 6 months ago I seen a commercial for our plumbing company on TV ( all hours plumbing ) same name, same phone numbers and everything. This was the first time I had seen or heard from him or anything to do with the business in years. The company was established over 9years ago. Do I have any recourse?

Asked on July 5, 2012 under Business Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, I am sure that there is some recourse here but it depends on what you wish to do.  There are a lot of issues here.  First, did you have a partnership agreement?  Did you file any type of restraining order against him to use the company numbers, etc.?  Next, what proof do you have that you were a partner in the LLC?  Any bills for the legal work with both your names on the books as officers of the company?  Receipts for the tools he stole?  You are going to need this all.  You can speak with an attorney about an injinction against him to stop him from using the names, etc. and the damages your state law will allow.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption